Fish is consumed as food in almost every region of the world. Not only fish is an important protein source for humans but the oil contained in the body cells of the fishes are specially beneficial for our heart health.
In India alone, several regions have their own recipe for cooking fish. Fish is prepared in a variety of ways. Say for example, in Eastern India, fish cooked in mustard paste is very popular, whereas in Western India, fish curry with coconut and kokum is more prevalent, again South India is proud of their fish curry cooked in tamarind paste. Each recipe has their own distinct flavour and taste.
Today we are sharing a Fish Curry recipe shared by our oneapp user Dipesh in our Recipe Book section. So let’s get started.
INGREDIENTS FOR FISH CURRY
- Fish (Any)- 600 gm
- Coconut oil- 3tbsp
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Curry leaves- 10-12
- Shallots (Sliced)- 15-20
- Ginger (Grated)- 2tsp
- Garlic (Chopped)- 2tbsp
- Green Chilli (Slit)- 1-2
- Coriander Powder- 1tbsp
- Turmeric Powder- ½ tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder- 2tbsp
- Black Pepper Powder- ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek Powder- ⅛ tsp
- Kudampali- 2-3 pieces
- Salt to taste
HOW TO COOK FISH CURRY –
- Heat coconut oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add shallots, ginger, garlic and green chilli and fry until the shallots turn golden brown.
- In a separate bowl, mix coriander, turmeric, red chilli, pepper and fenugreek powders. Add water to make a thick paste.
- Add the powder masala paste to the pan and fry.
- Add2 cups of water and kudampuli and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, add the fish pieces and salt to taste. Cook in low flame for 8-10.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the curry rest for 2-3 hours for the flavours to mature.
Before serving, reheat the curry and serve with rice. Enjoy!