Hello there, how are you doing? Please be safe.
Today I have brought a new recipe for you. Its name is Fajita. ‘Fajita’ is a variation of the Spanish word Faja, which means belt or girdle. ‘Fajita’ is a popular Tex-Mex dish that was popularized in the 1970s, but it had its origin in the 1930s in Mexico & United States.
A fajita in Tex-Mex is any grilled meat that is usually served as a taco on a flour or a corn tortilla. The term ‘Faja’ in Spanish originally refers to skirt steak, the cut of beef first used in the dish. Today Fajita is known to be quite a popular Tex-Mex dish around the world. With time Fajita has been developed into other variations using meats like chicken, other cuts of beef, vegetables, or even tofu. In restaurants, the meat is usually cooked with onions and bell peppers & added with condiments including shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, pico de gallo, shredded cheese, refried beans, and diced tomatoes. ‘Arrachera’ is a type of ‘Fajita’ popular as the Northern Mexican variant of the dish.
Let’s quickly learn how to prepare some delicious ‘ Chicken Fajita‘ at home.
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED TO COOK CHICKEN FAJITA:
- Chicken medium-sized steaks – 4-5pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper – sliced thinly into juliennes
- 1 red bell pepper- sliced thinly into juliennes
- 2 medium-sized red onion – thinly sliced
- 4-5 lettuce- roughly diced
- 2 lemons for freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Sour cream
- Fajita seasoning consisting of:
- Chilli powder
- ground cumin
- Garlic powder
PROCEDURE TO COOK CHICKEN FAJITA:
- Season the chicken- Generously sprinkle the spices mentioned in the Fajita seasoning on both sides of the chicken and use your fingers to press it in. Make small holes on the steak pieces with a fork so that the spices get blended well into the meat.
- Cook the chicken- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and lightly coat it with a drizzle of olive oil or avocado oil. Sear the chicken breasts for about 7-8 minutes on each side. Then remove them from the pan and let them rest for a few minutes before slicing them into strips.
- Saute the bell peppers and onion- While the chicken is cooking, put the bell peppers and onions in the same skillet & saute them over medium heat for a few minutes until caramelized.
- Mix together- Now cut the chicken streaks into bite-sized strips, add it back into the skillet, squeeze some fresh lime juice on top and stir everything together.
- Wrap it up Put a tortilla wrap & place the roughly diced lettuce on it. Now add the cooked chicken filling & wrap it up, garnish it with some sour cream on top & serve immediately.