Cooking for your family is an amazing feeling. But managing heavy meals on a weekday can sometimes feel exhausting. Cooking in the slow cooker is a dream come true for families with working parents. Load up your slow cooker, turn it on and just let it cook while you can actually walk away from it for hours.
What is slow cooking?
Slow cooking is the process of cooking meat or poultry and vegetables in a tightly covered cooking pot and slowly simmered in liquid until succulent and tender. A covered ceramic or stainless steel crock sits inside an electrical unit that surrounds the crock with gentle heat. Since slow cooking is much more convenient for the cook than braising, it serves as an ideal option for people with a busy schedule.
11 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT SLOW COOKER
Thinking of getting yourself a slow cooker? Here are a few pointers to make your decision more resolute.
- A slow cooker is perfect for everyday use. It’s a very useful appliance which can cook from stews and even bake a cake.
- A slow cooker is a dream appliance invented especially for weekday meals it seems, making your one-pot wholesome food without much intervention.
- When it comes to cooking tougher and less expensive cuts of meat like the brisket of pork shoulder, the slow cooker can simmer it and cook it until it’s as tender as cutting it with a fork.
- You must always buy a cooker that has a removable ceramic or stainless steel bowl to insert for easy cleaning. The insert bowl should have sturdy jabbed handles for moving it from the cooker to the dining table.
- The insert bowl, if safe for stove-top cooking, can be used on the stove or in the oven to brown meats for an added layer of flavour.
- Check for a well-fitted lid for your slow cooker. The success of your recipes is achieved only with the help of a well-fitted lid to simmer your dish in the slow cooker.
- If you wish to carry your slow cooker to a potluck, make sure to buy one which has been designed with clamps on the sides to keep the lid in place while travelling with food inside.
- The heating elements of most of the slow cookers are on the bottom of the unit. But those with high-quality models have elements wrapped around the body as well and tend to cook foods more evenly.
- Make sure the slow cooker insert bowl is perfectly clean before using and thaw all the ingredients before putting them inside the slow cooker.
- To make sure your food is getting cooked evenly, don’t fill the crockpot more than 2/3 of its capacity and resist the temptation to remove the lid during cooking.
- The hot steam will collect under the lid, so make sure to raise it carefully and away from you when the food is done.
Can’t resist buying one to suit your needs? Get one of the supreme quality and start cooking those amazing recipes, cakes and sides to impress your family. Also get the freshest ingredients for your cooking from your local vegetable and meat vendors, only with oneapp. Download now.
Like this article….
Read our most interesting article on “Hot and healthy chicken stew for cool and damp monsoons“