With Durga Puja coming near, we, especially the Bengalis living out of Bengal, are waiting with bated breath to dive into the Kolkata street foods to be served in the Puja Pandals. From Mughlai Porota to Fish Fry, Kolkata Biryani to Bengali Kathi Roll. While all the dishes are our absolute favourites, let me give a sneak peek more into the last one, i.e. Bengali Kathi roll in this post. I love it the most because of its ease of eating standing in a crowded stall. No need for a dish or plate, just hold the roll wrapped in a paper towel. Tear and eat. Tear and eat. It’s so easy and tastes like heaven.
Initially, they were just known as rolls, the name Kathi or Kathi roll is said to have come after Nizam’s made a switch from iron skewers to bamboo sticks (locally called Kati) to grill the kebabs in 1964. Though Kathi rolls are ubiquitous in Kolkata today, they were once a monopoly controlled by Nizams for a while. The Kathi Roll was first invented during the first half of the 20th century in the city of Kolkata, India, and its origins trace back to a single restaurant, known as Nizams. When the Kathi Roll was invented, Kolkata was the capital of British rule in India.
In this post, let’s find out the recipe of Bengali Kathi Roll. You can now order all the ingredients required to make this roll right from your home, just with oneapp. Download now.
RECIPE OF STREET STYLE BENGALI KATHI ROLL
To Prepare the paratha:
▢1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour or Maida.
▢2 tablespoons canola oil.
▢1/4 teaspoon salt.
▢Coldwater is required to knead the dough.
Lining the Flatbreads with egg:
▢2 tablespoons vegetable oil or canola oil.
To prepare the Sauteed Chicken for the Stuffing:
▢250 – 300 gms boneless chicken made into 1/2 inch pieces.
▢1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
▢1/2 tsp cumin powder
▢1/2 tsp coriander powder
▢1/2 tsp garam masala powder.
▢1/2 tsp red chilli powder
▢1 tsp tandoori masala powder.
▢1/4 tsp turmeric powder.
▢1 tsp lemon juice.
▢1 tbsp yoghurt.
▢1 tsp mustard oil + 2 tbsp Canola Oil.
▢1/2 tbsp ready-made tomato paste (optional)
▢Salt to taste
To prepare the salad for stuffing:
▢1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
▢1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
▢1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro or coriander leaves
▢6-7 green chillies finely chopped (optional)
▢Tomato + green chilli sauce according to taste.
How to make the flatbread or the paratha:
1. In a clean dry bowl gently sieve the all-purpose flour and salt, whisk it and add the oil and mix with your fingers, gently rub and mix. This helps to uniformly distribute the oil.
2. Add cold water in small amounts and start kneading the dough until the dough is soft and smooth. It should not stick in the fingers. Cover with a cling film and allow the dough to rest for 15 mins.
3. After 15 mins divide the dough into 5 equal portions and smoothen the portions into round balls.
4. Now with the help of a rolling pin roll each ball into a flat disk about 7-8 inches. Roll all the 5 balls into round disks.
5. Heat a griddle over medium heat and gently place the rolled dough. You can see bubbles forming, gently flip on the other side brushing oil on each side and cooking both sides. When brown spots appear, it’s time to switch off the flame and keep the flatbreads aside.
How to line the parathas with egg:
1. Heat a griddle or Tawa over medium heat and brush the surface with oil. Now place one paratha and crack one whole egg on top of the paratha and spread it and gently flip and cook until the egg clings on the paratha. Follow the same process for the rest of the parathas and keep the egg lined parathas aside.
How to prepare the Sauteed Chicken for the stuffing:
1. Add all the ingredients mentioned except 2 tbsp of vegetable oil or canola oil and the tomato paste and marinate the chicken for a minimum of 15 mins.
2. Now heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil or canola oil on a griddle over medium heat and gently put the marinated boneless chicken pieces and saute for 15 mins or until done. Halfway through add the tomato paste and saute until done. Keep aside the sauteed and cooked chicken.
How to prepare the Salad for stuffing:
1. If you want you can mix all the chopped and sliced ingredients mentioned in a bowl except the sauces and keep them aside.
How to assemble the Chicken Kathi Roll or egg Chicken roll:
1. Take one egg lined flatbread or paratha, place it egg side up and spread about 1-2 tsps of tomato and chilli sauce in each.
2. Then line the paratha that’s smeared with sauces and top it with the salad ingredients. Place about 4-5 sauteed chicken pieces per paratha, squeeze in some lemon & sprinkle some chopped green chillies on it (optional). Finally, fold the wrap with wax paper to keep them secure.
Have it warm and enjoy the roll packed with so many flavours.
Tips to keep in mind:
- Adding cold water to the flour while kneading will result in crispy flaky soft parathas.
- Overstuffing the parathas will not let them wrap up well. So, it’s better to eyeball the stuffing.
- You may replace the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or even use ready-made tortillas but the roll won’t taste similar to that of the street side rolls.
- You may alter the number of spices to saute the chicken according to your taste and preferences.
- The sauteed chicken can be prepared well ahead of time and stored for up to 7 days in an airtight container inside the refrigerator.
- These taste best when served hot.
- The recipe can be made kid-friendly by skipping the green chillies and the green chilli sauce.
- It’s important to saute the chicken and make it into a dry consistency, or else the flatbread will become soggy.
- Before rolling the dough, smear the rolling pin with little oil and also brush the surface where you plan to roll the dough with a few drops of oil. This will result in a smooth rolling.
Hope this detailed recipe will help and now you can make your own Kathi at home anytime. Do you like the recipe? Let us know in the comments below.
Also, read our article on “Cook tasty Chicken Enchiladas“