Enchiladas is a delicious Latin American food. This versatile dish usually features tortillas with sauce, cheese and meat. It’s a common dish in many Mexican/Latin American restaurants, and it’s easy to make from home.
Enchiladas, the popular Tex-Mex dish today, is known to have originated in Mexico. Even back in Mayan times, the people would roll other foods into tortillas. It has been a practice in that part of the world for many centuries. The first types of enchiladas ever created were most likely corn tortillas with fish inside them. When the Spanish conquistadors arrived in Mexico, they kept detailed records of everything the locals were eating. They used to talk a lot about enchiladas and how it was made almost everywhere. Enchiladas were featured in one of the first-ever Mexican cookbooks in the early 1800s. The word enchilada is derived from the Spanish verb enchilar, which means “to the season with chilli.
Let’s quickly find out how to make some delicious, cheesy, melt-in-the-mouth Chicken Enchiladas at home:
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN ENCHILADAS:
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 onion, chopped
- ½ pint sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt (Optional)
- 1 (15 ounces) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- ⅓ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (12 ounces) jar taco sauce
- ¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2-3 green chillies, chopped
Order the ingredients of your chicken enchiladas now in oneapp!
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Put a medium-sized non-stick skillet over medium heat, add some of the chopped onions and a little minced garlic & cook until translucent. Then add the boneless chicken pieces and cook it until it’s no longer pink and the juices run clear. Drain the excess fat and cut the chicken pieces into cubes and return it to the skillet. Add some of the raw onion, sour cream, Cheddar cheese, parsley, oregano and ground black pepper into the chicken and mix well. Heat until the cheese melts. Add some salt, tomato sauce, water, chilli powder, green pepper and garlic and give it a nice stir till it’s mixed well.
- Roll even amounts of the chicken mixture in the tortillas. Arrange the tortilla rolls on a 9×13 baking dish. Cover the tortilla rolls with taco sauce and 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese. Then bake it in the preheated oven for 20minutes.
- Let it cool down for 10minutes and garnish it with some grated cheese & chopped chillies on top then serve.
Also, Read our Chicken recipe on “Yummy Chicken Fajita Recipe“. Do try at your home and write to us in our comment section below on your food experience.
Have it for lunch, dinner or even snacks, it’s easy to make, filling & tasty. Can be a great tiffin snack for the kids as well as a quick party starter. One may add a variety of fillings in it, be it meat or veggies and bake it with a generous layer of cheese and voila, it’s done.