When we are sick, there are few things that are more nourishing than a warm, savoury bowl of chicken soup. Though soup recipes vary, chicken broth, the core ingredient, is known to be a remedy for cold and flu symptoms all around the world.
But what is it that makes the chicken soup so soothing? Studies have shown that a hearty bowl of chicken noodle soup may help clear nasal congestion and ease cold symptoms. A clear broth is warm and soothing, making it a great source of hydration while you’re sick, especially if you have a sore throat.
The core of any good soup remedy is that it helps to keep you hydrated. Of course, any kind of soup can keep you hydrated, but one of the things that make the chicken soup so especially comforting is the fact that it’s an excellent source of tryptophan, which helps our body produce serotonin, a mood-enhancing neurotransmitter. This can be a real game-changer when you’re dealing with debilitating cold symptoms.
Chicken is also a good source of immunity-boosting nutrients like Vitamin B. A warm bowl of chicken soup is loaded with high proteins, healthy fats & various sources of nutrients from the chicken & vegetables used in it.
Sharing one of the tried & tested recipes that always adds a big smile to my face whenever I make it. My most favourite chicken coriander soup.
Order fresh chicken now from your local meat shop, only on oneapp. Download now
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE CHICKEN CORIANDER SOUP:
- Boneless shredded chicken pcs: 400gms boiled along with the stock
- 1 large onion: sliced
- 1 medium-sized tomato
- 1/2 medium-sized capsicum
- 2tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 cloves
- A handful of coriander leaves
- Soya sauce
- White vinegar
- Salt & sugar to taste
- About 1 tsp black pepper powder
- Some butter for garnishing
PROCEDURE TO MAKE CHICKEN CORIANDER SOUP:
- In a pan, heat vegetable oil & temper it with the cloves.
- When they splutter, add the onions & g-g paste & fry it on medium flame.
- Add the tomatoes & capsicum when the onions turn golden brown.
- Add salt to taste.
- Shallow fry the veggies.
- Add the boiled chicken & saute a bit.
- Sprinkle some black pepper powder & add a tsp of white vinegar & soya sauce. Stir well.
- Now, add the remaining chicken stock & adjust the salt. Add sugar if needed.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Add some chopped coriander leaves & put the lid on for 2-3minutes.
- Add some cornflour if you want the soup to be thick.
- Garnish it with some chopped coriander leaves & switch off the flame.
- Serve it hot with some freshly crushed black pepper powder & butter on top.
You can devour it with some crisp butter toasts for a hearty meal.